Sunday, October 14, 2012

Thoughts on Homeschool

I had given a lot of thought to homeschooling my girls. Among many of my dear friends,  it seems like the REAL moms homeschool. I love my children. I want the best for them but I struggled with the decision to homeschool. During my confusion, I examined my reasons for wanting to homeschool.

Wanting to keep my children pure from the world and worrying they will learn bad habits at school is not a reason for me to homeschool. Bullies, trouble in school, feeling like I am losing them, falling behind and poor teaching ARE reasons for me to homeschool and that hasn't happened yet. I wouldn't be doing them any favors by keeping them home at this point. I do want to raise children that are pure, but I am also raising my children to fight evil. So I send them off to be battered by the wind and waves then come home to safety. This is my reasoning and every family must do as they feel inspired. 




5 comments:

  1. It is hard letting your kids go and be battered by the wind but it allows for your kids and your family to share the gospel and to share that goodness of your family with different types of people. Kaitlyn loves school and her teachers love her and she is creating bonds with people we would have never met if I would have homeschooled. So, pros and cons to both types of schooling but I have really enjoyed sending my little girl to school! Plus she loves it and so that always helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think REAL moms are the ones who prayerfully consider the needs of their children in each season of their life. My oldest 3 children attended public school until 7th, 4th, and 2nd grades before we felt it was time to embark on a homeschool path. Public school worked for us until it didn't. No regrets. Homeschool is working for us now, and we love it. No regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what Melissa said! Real moms counsel with the Lord and decide based on inspiration. This is not a competition. If anything, it's a team effort between you, your husband, the Lord your kids, and your mom friends who love you. I would have given it some serious consideration also if my husband hadn't been seriously opposed to it. hahaha I'm glad now. I hate the possibility that my children go out in the world to be hurt and exposed to things beyond my control, but they will learn from the opposition as well as from the comparison of how it is at home vs. at school. That's a more powerful teaching tool about how choosing the right brings happiness anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. To you and to the above commenters. Pray it out, and do what feels right. That's what we've done, and it's been a blessing for us so far, and I expect it will continue to be, as long as we're following the answers we receive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just say what a reduction to search out somebody who actually knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know find out how to convey a problem to light and make it important. More individuals need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant consider youre not more well-liked since you positively have the gift. tours from naples to amalfi coast

    ReplyDelete