Friday, May 18, 2012

A Summer Promise to My Kids

Just when I was ready to sink into despair, and abandon myself to the ruinous life of motherdom to which there can be few, however, deep joys and far too much heartache and too much work and too much negative emotional output heaped on one for all my good intentions. Just when I was ready to give up all hope and sacrifice my dry, tired bones to being a zombie mom, I visited with my sisters, mother, N8s mom and sister in Boise.

Going to Boise renewed me. I don't know what it is about family but there is strength in it for me. Seeing Nathans sisters and my sisters-these wonderful women and mothers that share love and friendship just renews me, I feel so loved.

A few months ago, we determined that I needed to get the kids out of the house so N8 could work on the bathroom without interruption, we decided I would go to Boise with all the kids in the limo. I called my sister to tell her I was coming. I told her that N8 got to stay in Provo and live his dream of doing a project without interuptions. There was a pause on the line and she said, "No, I am pretty sure that is your dream." Oh, you're right, why am I the one driving to Boise again?

So since I am have a renewed joie de vivre, I am making a few promises to my kids that may keep me from the head aching, parched bones and clenched jaws of yesteryear.

1. I choose not complain about otterpop wrappers left in the backyard or fret over juice/popsicle spills that cause me to stick to the floor.

2. I choose not care about about the inch of sand that gets tracked in our house and am willing and happy to clean it out of the tub. Sorry you don't like to bathe on it, I haven't had time to clean it yet. Sandpaper bum might be good for you.

3. In our attempts at being sweeter, the girls and I set a goal to make caramel popcorn Sunday evenings and eating it out on the stoop, inviting anyone walking by to join us.

4. We will go to the pool once a week, dare I say twice? (Usually, we went 2-3 times a week before the babies, but by the end of the summer, I was so burned out I was praying for rain and cold) I don't know how Sylvia does it.

5. We will finally make the PVC pipe ride through bikewash we have wanted to make for a long time!

6. We will go camping if all the babies are walking, oh oops, on second thought, I will let dad take you camping, and I will stay home with the babies...I was getting carried away in my generosity and good humor.

7. I will say, 'Oh Well' in my head much much more, instead of, this is killing me, this is too hard, I can't do this!

I am looking forward to a wonderful summer, full of happy little girls with messy braids streaming behind them and dirt eating babies in yesterdays onesie and well watered gardens. I relish it!

P.S. If you can't handle the sight of muddy kids, don't come over because I love it! For my kids, it is needful, healthy and happy.  

6 comments:

  1. my kids are ALWAYS muddy. our backyard has little bits of grass and we are always out back swimming. i think it mortifies my sister but i just don't care. my kids are happy and at least they are OUTDOORS!
    thanks for inspiring me to make a summer goal list. and i am glad i am not the only one out there that wants to resign from motherhood occasionally. seriously its the hardest thing on earth and i swear i am messing up my children.
    Godspeed! and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list. Good choice on letting Dad take the girls camping, and I wish I could come by every Sunday. I totally would.

    My goal this summer is to spend lots of time at the pool too, until it's too painful to look at me in a swimsuit.

    Also, there are tons of popsicle sticks in our backyard. And the weeds are out of control. But I always get handfuls of flowers every time the girls go out, so... totally worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your list too. I totally get the clenched jaws thing - sometimes I think, why does my head hurt, then I realize I've been clenching my jaw and can barely pry it open. Also, I've learned to say "OH Well" A LOT. My mother and mother-in-law coming over everyday to see my messy house *might* have something to do with it. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list of promises... I look forward to seeing the pictures of the bike wash!! :)

    ReplyDelete