Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mom Interrupted

In trying to get Hazel to clean her room, I record thoughts and comments on the following conversation.

Mom: Hazel, I know you can clean your room fast. I have seen you run around a gym at super speed, and you can ride your bike super fast too. You can be a super hero, flying may not be your super power but I bet cleaning is!

 It didn't work. For a while I felt like cleaning was my super power. But I don't anymore. I am just staying afloat and that is fine for right now. I feel like I have so many things to do, so many "nails" to hammer that I am hammering all day and the darn nails keep moving before I can get them in. Will someone quit talking so I can hear what is going on inside my head?

I find myself saying useless things like this one when my child is about to freak out: If you stay calm, I'll stay calm. (Toddlers really go for that one.) Here is another one- please stop talking so I can keep my thoughts inside my head for minute, (I must write these down) and my favorite one of all, Go and play so mommy can hang on to the thoughts that are running away from her. (Now, what was I about to do before I got interrupted?)

Brains come back so I can hammer these nails that keep moving around!

1 comment:

  1. Earplugs?

    They don't remove all sound; you can still hear everything except if somebody's talking under their breath (bet that never happens at your house). They just give you a little sensory margin. It's a thought anyway.

    ReplyDelete